John serves as a Client Advisor at Bragg Financial. With over 30 years of experience, John serves as a valuable partner for clients, helping them make well-informed planning decisions coupled with disciplined investment decisions. In this role, he advises clients on charitable giving, estate planning, investment management, and retirement cash flow planning. Prior to joining Bragg Financial in 1990, John worked as an investment advisor with the Hinrichs Financial Group in Charlotte.
John is married to Catherine and they have four children, with three of them following a family tradition by attending Wake Forest University. They live on a small family farm near Davidson, North Carolina. John enjoys the outdoors and spent seven years serving as the Scoutmaster of Troop 58 in Davidson. He served an additional three years as a Crew Advisor for Venture Crew 58, the high school, co-ed high adventure scouting program. John cherishes his time in Scouting which gave him the opportunity to see young people grow up and learn how to plan, organize and lead others in the outdoors.
The Scouting program has taken John on many high-adventure trips, including a ten-day backpacking trip to Philmont Scout Reservation in the Rockies, rafting and camping along the Colorado River through Canyonlands National Park in Utah, mountaineering in the Cascade Range near Mt. Rainier, ice climbing in the Adirondacks in New York, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing in Vermont, snowmobiling and ice fishing in Michigan's upper peninsula, as well as many other camping, backpacking and rafting trips in North Carolina. In addition to his Scouting trips, John drove his family on three cross-country RV trips. Not that he’s counting, but John has visited 29 of the 63 National Parks.
- Client Advisor
Education & Professional Experience
- BA Wake Forest University
- CFP® – Certified Financial Planner
- 34 years industry experience
- 32 years on Bragg team
- Hinrichs Financial Group – Registered Representative
- Backpacking, camping, hiking, paddling, climbing…anything outdoors with my family or our Scout Venture Crew.
- Woodworking projects, preferably those involving 2x4’s when I get to use my nail gun
- Eagle Scout, Troop 116 in Charlotte
- Boy Scouts of America: John is the former Scoutmaster of Troop 58 in Davidson and former Crew Advisor for Davidson Venture Crew 58
- Davidson College Presbyterian Church: John is an Elder and currently serves as co-chair of the DCPC Day of Service. He is former chair of the Membership Committee and former member of the Personnel Committee, the Stewardship Committee, the Planning Committee, the Associate Pastor Search Committee and the Campus Committee.
- Right Moves for Youth: Board Member and member of Finance Committee 2022–2025. Served as a volunteer and ran the RMFY club at Selwyn Elementary School from 1992–1995
- Wing Haven Garden: Member of Endowment Committee 2022–2025
- Davidson Community Players: Former Chair of Finance Committee
- Wake Forest University: Former Member of Wake Forest Alumni Council
- MMAE's Inn Hospitality House of Charlotte: Former Board Member
- Kids Repay: Served as a tutor for at-risk children at the Johnston YMCA